Our standard sandwich covers can be handled by robotic grippers, but have a number of drawbacks:
- relatively heavy (150-170 g)
- have to be clamped in during shaking (otherwise they start "rattling", above a certain shaker frequency, because the silicone seals are flat)
- smooth surface of the stainless steel: can slide out of the gripper at an insufficient gripper force (note: many users sofar solve this by putting autoclave tape on the sides)
The "robot-friendly covers" that we have developped in the past year (patent pending, priority date May 2023) address these issues with the following characteristics:
- 50% lighter (approx 80 g)
- seal part rests on the the walls of the MTP under an angle of approx 50 degrees, and are therefore well positioned/fixed (no rattling during shaking without clamping)
- rough structure at the sides (made from rubber), so a reduced risk of "sliding" out of a gripper
The robot-friendly covers consist of the following parts:
- a soft rubber (50 shore A) part produced by either 3D printing or injection molding
- a thin stainless steel ridge, under an angle of 5 degrees, so that mispositioning by the robot of 1 mm (in all 4 directions) is allowed; gravity will automatically cause the cover to "fall" in the proper position
- a carbon-epoxy plate for the necessary rigidity and flatness
- replacable air filters to prevent air-borne contaminants to enter the headspaces
At present we only have prototypes available for 24-square deepwell plates (see photos), but they will be available in large quantities before the end of 2023. Also, we are working on similar covers for 96-well MTPs and our 6-well MTPs CR1406
These sandwich covers are compatible (in terms of weight and dimensions) with the requirement for the Thermo Fisher Scientific Cytomat automated incubators (Laboratory Automation Incubators | Thermo Fisher Scientific):
The best way to contact us is to use the form below. However, you may also contact Wouter Duetz directly by e-mail. This e-mail address can be found on the "about us" page.
Optionally you may provide us with additional details about your project; culture type & duration, throughput and desired culture volumes.
We are happy to assist you. We generally reply within a single business day.